James Man was born on 22 May 1783 in the parish of St. Dunstan in the East, London, the younger son of James and Sarah (Roberts) Man, and was baptized on 2 July 1789 at St Dunstan in the East, London. He married Frances Margaret Holmes on 9 October 1821, by license, at St. Mary-at-Lambeth, Lambeth, Surrey. James died on 5 March 1842 at 5 Princes Place, Kennington Road, Lambeth, Surrey.
Frances Margaret Holmes was born on 17 October 1799 in Westminster, Middlesex, the older daughter of Daniel and Elizabeth Catherine Holmes, and was baptized on 17 April 1805 at St Paul Covent Garden, Westminster. Her death has been recorded as being within the March quarter of 1877 in Lambeth.
[References: James's birth and baptism - FHL Film # 0396188; his marriage - FHL Film# 1041641; his death - copy of death certificate; Frances's birth and baptism - FHL Film # 0845241. Frances's death the Free BMD. Picture above: St Dunstan in the East] Below the registry of James's baptism.
NOTES: James's brother Edward was a witness at his marriage. So also were Eliz. Holmes and Maryanne Holmes (Frances's mother and sister). James would have been 38 at marriage; Frances 22. Frances and her daughter have been found on the 1851 Census:
William L. Man was James and Frances M. Man's first cousin once removed, not nephew. James and Frances have been found on the 1841 census, Frances and her daughter Elizabeth Sophia have also been found on the 1861 census, and on the 1871 census. On the 1881 census Elizabeth Sophia has been found living with her cousin Elizabeth Man. Elizabeth Sophia also appears on the 1891 census.
Note for Elizabeth Sophia: on the 1881 Census - Elizabeth Sophia Man is living with her "cousin" - Elizabeth Man, widow, at 15, Alderbert Terrace in Lambeth, Surrey. But, this Elizabeth, it turns out, is the widow of Henry Garnet Man son of Peter Bruels Man. Elizabeth Sophia was alive at the time of the 1891 census.
Edward Man (James' brother) became a partner in the firm with his father in 1805. The company at that point was called James Man and Son. James became a partner in his father's and brother's brokerage firm in 1808 at which point the firm became known as James Man and Sons. On the death of James Man senior in 1823, as required by law, the firm was known as Edward and James Man. (Up until 1870 the law required that the name of a partnership had to list all the partners). By 1870 the firm was known as E. D. & F. Man standing for the two brothers Edward Desborough and Frederick and has remained the same name until the compant split and the financial publicly traded company became The Man Group. The commodity trading company retained E. D & F. Man as its name.
The partnership of Edward and James Man was dissolved in 1827 when James Man started his own business as a wholesale ironmonger and copper nail manufacturer with premises in Brick Hill Lane off upper Thames Street. (see House of Man p. 51).
No marriage for James Nisbet Man can be found. A reference to a 'Miss Frances Man' found in E. Garnet Man's school boy diary has created some interesting comments from Ed Man. Below is the death notice for James in the Times of March 8 1842.