|At some point a little after 1828
Harry Stoe Man used a six hundred pound
legacy made available to his wife Caroline Louisa Fowle
by her mother Ann (Pattenden) Fowle to purchase Halstead Hall in Halstead,
Kent. The picture below right is of the 'new' church and that below
left is of the
earlier church that was demolished around 1880. Harry Stoe Man's exploits
while the owner of Halstead Hall have been outlined in G. D. Kitchener's
'Halstead in Kent' and can be viewed
HERE. Kitchener's more detailed and more recent account in 'Millennial
Halstead' can be found HERE
(<--- PDF). Also, a statement on Harry Man's "shameful and repressive conduct"
with regard to the village pond at Halstead can be viewed HERE.
After the last of the Man family had left 'Halstead Hall' it was rented out
to the family of E. Nesbitt the author of 'The Railway Children' who also
Septimus Man. The
black and white postcard of Halstead Hall below is from the 1920's and was
sent by Dorothy Man in December
1926 to her brother Hubert thanking him for a
cheque that he had sent her.